googlef7cf14e494cac192.html Stop Accepting, Start Changing - Self Improvement
Sunday, March 24, 2013

3/24/2013 09:56:00 PM
Stop Accepting, Start Changing  






I have always despised math.

In fact, I nearly didn't graduate high school because of it.

I was the kid who asked, "When will I ever have to use this?"

And I would usually get the same response.

"It's not about learning every formula and concept, it's about learning how to approach a problem and then having the guts and know-how to solve it."

This was great and all but I would've rather learned problem solving skills by solving sudokus by the pool.

Ever since I was a kid I have been told that the math side of my brain just, fails. However, I managed to get by until my senior year of high school.

My senior year I took trigonometry and it nearly destroyed my chance of graduating. I had the second lowest grade in the class. I worked with my teacher and was very grateful that they ended up passing me.

At the end of the year I came up with this formula:

Math + Senioritis = Endless frustrating nights of banging my head against the wall, wishing math would grow up and solve its own problems^2

I thought after graduating high school, all my math problems would finally be solved.

Man, was I wrong.

I started college and my first semester I took Algebra.

I got off to a rocky start and it didn't help that my professor couldn't speak English very well.

By the 4th week I had an F in the class.

I ended up dropping it and telling myself that I would take it later.

Well that "later" ended up being this semester.

Since my first semester I have transferred schools and changed my living arrangements.

But besides the physical changes, I have had some mental changes as well.

I asked myself:

Why have I been letting others tell me what I'm good at?

What's stopping me from getting an A in math?

Why am I accepting things instead of changing them?

I got tired of failing and decided to do something about it.

I am currently taking Algebra again this semester and guess what?

I have an A in the class.

I got sick of accepting the fact that I would never do well at math and I decided to change it.

I started studying, doing all the work, taking notes, showing up to every class, etc.

The more I worked at it, the better I became and the more my mindset changed.

So I came up with a couple new formulas:

Failure + Acceptance = More Failure

Failure + Refusal = BIG Change

Now that is definitely a problem I can solve.

0 comments: